Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV Risks from Spit in a Sore?

yourboy21 - Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I recently received oral sex from a guy that i don't know his HIV status. During I used his spit and mine to help finish. Later I realized I had a sore, that was partially scabbed, and it burned a little. I was wondering what was the risk that I may have contracted HIV? After the fact I spit on it myself to try and kill anything, and cleaned it with alcohol.

I am a 23 year old Male.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 5:09 pm

User avatar The risk is probably low. There is some amount of the HIV virus found in saliva but not much. It takes a pretty good amount of virus getting in to the blood stream to cause infection so I suspect that the situation you describe would not yield this.

However, the risk is not zero so I would recommend you be tested in about a month just to be sure.