Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Rash on underside of penis

 bosleyjbosley - Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am

I'd appreciate any professional advice. I'll try to keep the background brief:

I am a 36 year old male currently taking no meds. Two years ago I had protected sex with a new partner. However, she also performed unprotected oral sex. At the time, I had a small coldsore (just developing).

A few days after sex, I developed a painful series of bumps (looked like large pimples) around the base of my penis...I went to a walk-in clinic and they took a culture for herpes. It came back negative.

A few months later, I developed the pimply rash again. I went to my general practitioner and he said it was definitely not herpes. He treated me for impetigo and scabies.

Since that time, I've felt like my groin area is extra sensitive although no rashes developed. I've had itching in the areas between my legs and groin (no rashes). (I exercise daily and sweat a lot.)

I have had the same partner for these two years. We had protected sex and unprotected oral sex the other day and within 24 hours I developed a different-looking rash (no bumps) on the underside of my penis toward the base. It is quite red and itches.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 23, 2007 3:04 pm

User avatar This new rash may be due to some skin trauma and irritation. If it does not improve over the next few days I would suggest that it be evaluated. If it is trauma, there really isn't any specific treatment other than time to heal.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us