Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: toenail fungus? or just genetic

cybrwolf - Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:40 pm

As long as I can remember I have had thick kind of pointy toenails on the two smallest toes on both feet. An I always remembered both of my parents having nails like that on their toes. My actual toes actually tend to be a bit pointier looking that most people's. Now I have one toenail by my big toe on one foot only that looks like it is starting to get that thickness tendency in it's growth (almost like it grows as thick at the same time it grows long). They are not discolored, just thick and they don't look like the toenail fungus info I look at on the internet.

Is this genetic, or perhaps actually a form of toenail fungus?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 pm

User avatar It is possible that there is a fungal infection although if your parents have similar nails it is very likely to be genetic.

I would suggest you have your doctor take a look the next time you are in.