Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Painful, itchy rash around Groin/ Penis Infection & symp

 eawbeast - Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am

Hello. This is on behalf of my long time boyfriend, who is too embarassed to go to a doctor. He is 21 years old, a white male. He has a rash that started 1-3 months ago around and on his penis/ groin area. It has spread drastically. The symptoms are as follows:

- The rash itches terribly all the time and is incredibly sore after being scratched. It is not discharging anything and is not blistered.
-He has trouble going to the bathroom both ways
>-he feels like his prostate is swollen, it is sometimes painful to urinate but difficult to stop
>After #2 rear so irriated he can barely can move

This is getting to the point where he can barely stand it. We don't believe STD's are an issue as we have not been with anyone else in 4 years. however, if the response is that we should get tested we will because we were with other people prior to begin dating. He is not currently on any medication and has not had surgery for approx 5-6 years (on his shoulders). The only family history that i know of is that he and his father have terrible heart burn and have I think what are called concaved chest? (THey go in under the rib cage a little). Please if anyone has any suggestions, feed back or anything let us know. (
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:01 pm

User avatar Hi Eawbeast,

There are a few possibilities. Unfortunately, I really can't say with any confidence what might be going on without examining him.

I think it is unlikely to be an STD but it is always safest to be tested since some of these diseases can have complications if not treated properly.

I would strongly recommend that he see his doctor for an evaluation. The sooner he is seen, the sooner he can get started on the proper treatment.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us