Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Infection risk and further testing

nexus - Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:19 am

Hello Doctor,

I (25 year old male) have a question concerning an event 7 weeks ago when I had protected sex with a girl. The problem is that, while I was pulling out my penis, the condom came off, however at this moment it was still covering the head of my penis. But then I tried to insert my penis again which didn't really work as it wasn't hard enough anymore. However I am not sure whether the head of my penis came in contact with some vaginal fluid at this time. All I can remember is that I only tried to insert my penis once and - if it came in contact - it was no longer than 5 - 10 seconds!

After this incident, four weeks later I took a PCR RNA HIV 1 test in combination with an ELISA antibody test, both were negative. Another half a week later (5 1/2 week after exposure) I took an Oraquick test, also negative. Again one week later I took another Oraquick test, again negative, so this time 6 ½ weeks later.

I was told by my doctor at the medical center in Boston where I live, that the 6 1/2 week test would be conclusive, but I am not sure about that. I read that the CDC tells everybody to wait at least 3 months.

So what to do think? Would you recommend further testing? The doctor also told me that in my situation there wasn't a real infection risk. On other sites in the Internet I read however, that there is always a risk when the head of the penis is exposed to vaginal fluids.

One more question: Does the fact that I have an allergy (hay fever) alter in test results? Do I have a suppressed immune system?

Please help me as I am really freaking out.... can't hardly sleep!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 pm

User avatar Hi Nexus,

The PCR test is accurate fairly quickly, generally by a month. The oraquick and Eliza are tests that look for antibodies. These may be positive fast; however, it is generally recommended that these tests be repeated if they are done before 3 months.

Overall, your risk sounds like it is low. However, all tests do have an inherent false negative rate. As such, if you are concerned it is reasonable to be retested at 3 months. A negative test at that point would be even more trustworthy.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us