Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: My blood test is negative. Is it herpes?

blahblah - Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm a 25 year old female. I've had genital itching for a while, but no actual blistering, scabbing over symptoms. I had a HSV blood test, which was positive for HSV 1, but not 2. I know I could've contracted HSV 1 genitally, but I've tested negative and I have no culturable symptoms (blisters, etc.). I am a known hypochondriac and have never had unprotected sex (although I have had unprotected oral sex). I don't know what to tell my current partner (we have always used condoms) when he asks about having sex without a condom. I am so paranoid, but I have no actual symptoms and my blood test is negative. Could this itching actually be genital herpes or is it all in my head? And if i do have genital HSV 1, how probable is it for him to contract it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 pm

User avatar The only way to be sure you have genital HSV 1 is to have a culture done when you have an actual blister outbreak. A blood test could show you have the virus but would not specify if it was genital. If you have an outbreak, get to your provider within a day or two to have it done.

Spreading of HSV 1 genitally is less likely than HSV 2 but is possible when you have a lesion so avoiding sexual contact when you have symptoms would be the safest course.

Of course if you have sex without a condom, you can certainly expose yourself to other viruses and pregnancy, unless you have a reliable alternative.
 blahblah - Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any actual blistering or other physical symptoms. Is there any other way to determine the type? Also, how likely is it to spread herpes while wearing a condom?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us