Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: My blood test is negative. Is it herpes?

blahblah - Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm a 25 year old female. I've had genital itching for a while, but no actual blistering, scabbing over symptoms. I had a HSV blood test, which was positive for HSV 1, but not 2. I know I could've contracted HSV 1 genitally, but I've tested negative and I have no culturable symptoms (blisters, etc.). I am a known hypochondriac and have never had unprotected sex (although I have had unprotected oral sex). I don't know what to tell my current partner (we have always used condoms) when he asks about having sex without a condom. I am so paranoid, but I have no actual symptoms and my blood test is negative. Could this itching actually be genital herpes or is it all in my head? And if i do have genital HSV 1, how probable is it for him to contract it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 pm

User avatar The only way to be sure you have genital HSV 1 is to have a culture done when you have an actual blister outbreak. A blood test could show you have the virus but would not specify if it was genital. If you have an outbreak, get to your provider within a day or two to have it done.

Spreading of HSV 1 genitally is less likely than HSV 2 but is possible when you have a lesion so avoiding sexual contact when you have symptoms would be the safest course.

Of course if you have sex without a condom, you can certainly expose yourself to other viruses and pregnancy, unless you have a reliable alternative.
 blahblah - Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any actual blistering or other physical symptoms. Is there any other way to determine the type? Also, how likely is it to spread herpes while wearing a condom?