Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: skin infection?

jonna243 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:58 am

I am a 20 year old female and about a month ago i had a small pimple which i made worse and infected by trying to squeeze it. I was prescribed mupirocin to treat it and by the time I started to use it, the infection seemed to be almost healed on its own. I recently did it again (i know, stupid) but I wanted to know if it was safe to use the mupirocin I was prescribed from the last time, on this infected area. I read that overuse could lead to a new fungal infection but I wasnt sure if my situation would be considered overuse. I am on no other current medications. Thank you. Jonna
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 am

User avatar You should be safe to use this again. Overuse of antibiotics can be a problem for sure and you really should complete the prescribed course whenever you are prescribed them and you are wise not to use them indiscriminately. In this case I would not hesitate to repeat the treatment. If it doesn't heal, you may need to see a dermatologist.