Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Syphilis false-positive?

trisha - Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:40 pm

I am a 24 year old female and have tested positive for syphilis. My titer started out at 1:64 two years ago, and I have been treated twice with a total of six penicillin shots. My titer went down to 1:16 last year then raised back to 1:32, back to 1:16 and now is back to 1:32. I have had a spinal tap which was negative for neurosyphillis and my only partner has tested negative for syphilis all along. I have never had any symptoms of syphillis such has spots on my palms or feet, or any chancre. My doctor is not sure why my titer will not decrease. I have tested negative for lupus. I looked up on the internet something called "antiphospholipid syndrome" which can make people have a false-positive test for syphillis. I was wondering if this could be a posibility for me? I have had a past MRI of the brain which showed over thirty spots on my brain, and the doctor said that it could happen from having a lot of mini strokes...I was 15 years old at the time. I have also had a miscarraige and have tremors....all of these are said to be symptoms of antiphospholipid syndrome. Any answers would be appreciated....Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:42 am

User avatar Hi Trisha,

Testing for antiphospholipid syndrome is a very reasonable idea. It can be tested for by a simple blood test. As you have suggested, antiphospholipid syndrome can be associated with miscarraiges and strokes becuase it causes an increased risk of blood clots.