Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: White vaginal discharge (cottage cheese) - unprotected sex

 merlin26 - Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:23 pm

i am a 26 year old female almost three months ago i had unprotected sex for less than 5 minutes i get scared and decide it not to do it
like about 5 days later i started to had a weird vaginal discharge white it looked like cottage chesse and itch alot went to gyn doctor and was diagnose with vaginal fungus ,i was given vandazole vaginal gel and a single pill to take, used the vaginal cream for 5 days everything return to normal . he says that if anything comes out wrong they will call me i called and was told that everything was ok.few days later the itch came back and then the discharge was yellow went back this time to my regular gyn doctor and explain her that i was having a yellow vaginal discharge and alot of itch . a week after my vaginal check up the vaginal discharge changed color green and the discharge really bad with alot of big green pieces coming out of my the doctor office 3 weeks after my check up and the nurse says that everything was the discharge its creamy white and do not itch that bad but still itch.
my doctor its on vacation a will be back on the 10
my question is what it could this be i didn't know about any infection that changed so many colors?
i used vabdazole 3 times and the itch comes back
i had 2 vaginal checks and everything was find would you be able to tell me what did they check for knowing that i had a vaginal itch and a discharge?
should i try vandazole again i still have half of it
thanks any help will be appreciate it
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:57 pm

User avatar Hi Merlin26,

It is possible that you have a persistent yeast infection (fungal infection). Vandazole (generic name metronidazole) is not affective against yeast. It is used to treat a condition called bacterial vaginosis where too much bacteria is present in the vaginal tract. This condition can also cause a discharge.

The oral pill you took was likely a medicine called fluconazole that will treat yeast infections.

You may want to try using one of the over-the-counter yeast infection medicines (one with an anti-fungal medicine like miconazole or clotrimazole or any of the other several choices). This is a safe thing to try. If it helps, great. If it doesn't you should see your doctor again.

Best wishes.
 merlin26 - Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:10 am

ok thanks doctor i will tr that
but also you didn't answer my question i don't know what i was tested for
what could i be tested if i told the doctor that i had itch and vaginal discharge
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:30 pm

User avatar Sorry about that. Most often, with vaginal discharge testing will be done for a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. These are tested for by evaluating a vaginal swab under the microscope to look for the abnormal fungal or bacterial growth.

It is also likely that they test for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Other STD's may have been tested for depending on how thorough the physician felt was needed.

Best wishes.
 merlin26 - Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:50 am

thank you doctor because when the doctor says that it was ok i don't know what they mean
have a great day
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:22 pm

User avatar You may want to give the doctor's office a call and request a copy of your labs. This way you'll get a list of all the tests they did.

Best wishes.
 merlin26 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:44 am

i just went to a different doctor and get tested for all the std that on my urine and blood let see what come out i should get some of the result on monay
also i will be check vaginal
i come back and let you know the doctor says that most likely he think ts gohnorrea or trichomoniasis but he needs to gets the result to be sure
 merlin26 - Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:48 pm

not gonohrrea or chlamidya
both test came normal they were perform by urine and swab twice
i was put on metronizadole pill two times a week for 7 days didn't work
i still have 2 more doses of fluconazole
let's see how it work

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us