Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Hepititus B

chickychick963 - Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:17 pm

I am a 19 year old female and I currently got my tongue pierced. One night ago actually, this morning while on my way to class i got very nauseous and couldn't go to class because of it. All day long I felt very very tired and this evening i've began to experience flu like symptoms. I did some research and noticed that those are symptoms of hepatitis B as well.

I am hesitant of taking any action because being in college and everything puts me a risk for contracting all kinds of viruses and I know the flu has been going around. I am also pretty sure that Hepatitis B was a require immunization before i went to middle school but I am not positive. Any suggestion?? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:00 am

User avatar Hi Chickychick963,

If I am understanding correctly you had your tongue pierced one day before these symptoms started. If this is correct is is very unlikely to be Hepatitis B. The virus generally has a longer incubation period than about 12 hours. Some viruses can cause infection that quickly but not many.

It is more likely that you have picked up a cold virus from somewhere else, as you have suggested.

If you're not getting better you should see your doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us