Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: strep throat or something more?

 alias - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm a freshman in college and have recently had oral sex. after about 2 weeks my throat got soar on and off but i though nothing of it. 3 weeks later my throat is really sore and one tonsil is enlarged with white seed like things in it and the other is "deflated". Is step throat likely or is chlamydia or Gonorrhea the case. also how would I go about treating it b/c if I do have it it is in the mouth. I've had strep a couple of times in the winter in pa but i'm in florida now and don't know if it's that common here. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi Alias,

Strep throat is possible. It typically presents with a painful sore throat, fever and no cough.

Gonorrhea can also cause a throat infection.

I would recommend you be tested for both strep and gonorrhea. A general bacterial throat culture can pick up both of these.

Treatment for both is an antibiotic; however, the antibiotic of choice differs for the two so an accurate diagnosis is important.

Best wishes.
 alias - Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:21 am

where would I go though to get tested for both? I'm not from around here. should i just find a doctor here or do i need to go someplace that treats stds?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 am

User avatar The answer to that question depends on your comfort level with being tested. If you are wanting anonymous testing I would recommend you go to an STD clinic that allows this.

If you are OK with them knowing your name I would recommend you see a primary care doctor in your area to be tested. This is probably better than the STD clinic because the STD clinics generally are not set up to give follow up and treatment for strep throat, only STD's.

Best wishes.
 alias - Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 am

ok thanks you. I have one last question. I called and asked about the test and it is a urine test for both. will this pick up the bacteria even if it is present in my mouth. i asked her and she really didn't have an anwser for me. thanks again.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:52 pm

User avatar The urine based testing will not pick up gonorrhea of the throat. A throat swab is needed.

Best wishes.
 alias - Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:59 am

just recently i've noticed a light yellowish green tint to my vaginal discharge as well as an order. would that be do to chlamydia or Gonorrhea if i do indeed have it or something else ...

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us