Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Big lump inside my vagina. Wat is it?

 concerned18 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:32 pm

I am 18 years old, female, no past diagnoses, no surgery, and I am not on any medication. I recently found a lump on the inside of my vagina, about 4 inches in. I don't know how it's been there. It's kind of soft and I can put my finger past it on one side, but my finger is not really long enough to reach. I have been sexually active for about a year with 3 different people. I only started having sex about a month ago. I have had unprotected sex a lot during this time. My partner has had unprotected sex before with 3 different people. Somtimes I get very sharp pains in my lower stomach and it prevented me from having sex one night. Also, I sometimes bleed a tiny bit during intercourse or just fingering. But that has been happening before I had sex. I cant go to my doctor because he is my uncle and I cant tell my mom I am having sex because she wont let me leave the house. I hope I am worrying over nothing where sex is new to me. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:29 pm

User avatar Hi Concerned18,

It is hard to say for sure what you may be feeling. It is possible that you may be feeling your cervix (the opening to your uterus). This often feels like a circular mass with a central dimple. It is generally soft but firm.

If STD's are a possibility I would always recommend testing. STD's can be assymptomatic. Prolonged infection with some of these diseases can cause scarring and complications.

There are often anonymous STD clinics where testing can be done without people knowing if you choose.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us