Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Could it be HIV or serious anxiety issues?

Really Anxious - Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:10 pm

I am 25 year old female on the pill and have been steadily seeing someone for 6 years. About 6 months ago I cheated and had a one night stand. We used a condom and he assured me he had and HIV / STD test 5 months prior and tested negative for everything. I have no reason to suspect I have caught any STD / HIV infection. I think the guilt of cheating has caught up with me and I am anxious of the secret coming out in the most unpleasant way. I admit to being a hypochondriac and last week I have managed to convince myself I have contracted HIV. I believe deep down this is not the case but I have had severe anxiety attacks that include insomnia, stress, headaches. I just need reassurance and unforunately live in a country where I cannot get tested for HIV without risking jail! If I had in fact contract HIV what sort of symptoms would I have experienced, and can I rest easy in knowing that my exposure was low risk and if I haven't experieced any symptoms 6 months post to the encounter that I am safe? Is there an alternative test, besides a blood test, that could confirm I am fine? I just need reassurance, please understand that. Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your patience.
 Smartpatrol9 - Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:42 pm

If he was negative and you used a condom, so long as the condom didn't break, I really would not worry. I did the same thing a while back (convinced myself I had HIV) except I thought I had it from a tattoo (I have never cheated, never will, I love my girlfriend with all my heart). If you are truly worried, please get tested. This is the only sure way to know.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us