Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: possible std?

 samtreh - Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:53 pm

this is the situation, I am a 24 year old white male, good health and no family history of std's. and am not on any meds. i have been tested no more that 4 months ago and all results have come back negetive. the only person i had sex with since then is my girlfriend and she is tested and clean as well. not too long ago (maybe a month or so) i noticed some bumps on the skin around my penis, but not on my penis or testicals. just on the skin right above, anyway they havent gone away and havent changed. they don't ich or ooze anything, they are just there. pretty small too but noticeable. i have no discharge from my penis or any problems with it at all actually. i do trim my pubic hair regularly and thought it could be razor bumps but they havent gone away. so im concerned. i shower daily and have tried acne treatments on them but no luck. any ideas what they are or how to get rid of them? thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:06 am

User avatar Hi Samtreh,

There are a few possibilities. One is that you may have these bumps from a virus called molluscum contagiosum. This virus causes small bumps that have a central dimple on them. It is spread by skin-to-skin contact and is not typically tested for during STD testing because visual diagnosis is key. It may be some clogged pores as well.

If they are not going away I would suggest having your doctor take a look at them. Usually, visual diagnosis is key with issues such as this.

Best wishes.
 samtreh - Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:42 am

so if it is that stuff (the molluscum contagiosum) what can i do? though i couldnt see any dimples anywhere. just small bumps. i don't have any health insurrance and im a fulltime student.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:50 pm

User avatar Molluscum may resolve on their own but it can take months or even years to do so. They can also be treated basically similarly to a wart, with treatments like freezing.

Perhaps the campus health department may be able to see you at a reduced fee since you are a student.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us