Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: anxiety causing symptoms?

roodhoo - Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 pm

I am a 23 year old gay male. The last time I had receptive anal sex was 2 years and was protected. I have never had unprotected sex. Shortly after my last time, I became constipated for about a week, having to eventually take laxatives, which worked. It's been a long while, but I think I also had a sore throat. Since then I have had anxiety (off and on) about whether or not I had been infected however, negligently, I have not had any sort of testing. But I have two questions,
1. Is constipation a normal symptom of initial infection?
2. Can Anxiety of whether you have HIV, cause you to believe you have the virus? I have had a history of worrying about having diseases (I first learned about AIDS in elementary school and began to think I had AIDS - of course, then they were saying one could contract the virus by way of a mosquito bite). I many times, narrow in on one of my physical and health aspects and believe it is a result of having HIV (ie, believing my cheeks are sunken in, having dental problems like rotting teeth, cuts that take a while to heal, going through spells of depression, etc.)

I'd appreciate any helpful info...

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:07 pm

User avatar Hi Roodhoo,

While your risk is on the lower end it is by no means zero so I would recommend you be tested for HIV. At this point it would be expected that a negative test really is negative so this will put your mind at ease or let you know that you are positive.

Anxiety is a powerful thing and can certainly convince a person they have a disease. Testing will alleviate this issue also.

Constipation is not a common symptom of HIV infection. More commonly it presents as a flu-like illness.