Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: anxiety causing symptoms?

roodhoo - Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 pm

I am a 23 year old gay male. The last time I had receptive anal sex was 2 years and was protected. I have never had unprotected sex. Shortly after my last time, I became constipated for about a week, having to eventually take laxatives, which worked. It's been a long while, but I think I also had a sore throat. Since then I have had anxiety (off and on) about whether or not I had been infected however, negligently, I have not had any sort of testing. But I have two questions,
1. Is constipation a normal symptom of initial infection?
2. Can Anxiety of whether you have HIV, cause you to believe you have the virus? I have had a history of worrying about having diseases (I first learned about AIDS in elementary school and began to think I had AIDS - of course, then they were saying one could contract the virus by way of a mosquito bite). I many times, narrow in on one of my physical and health aspects and believe it is a result of having HIV (ie, believing my cheeks are sunken in, having dental problems like rotting teeth, cuts that take a while to heal, going through spells of depression, etc.)

I'd appreciate any helpful info...

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:07 pm

User avatar Hi Roodhoo,

While your risk is on the lower end it is by no means zero so I would recommend you be tested for HIV. At this point it would be expected that a negative test really is negative so this will put your mind at ease or let you know that you are positive.

Anxiety is a powerful thing and can certainly convince a person they have a disease. Testing will alleviate this issue also.

Constipation is not a common symptom of HIV infection. More commonly it presents as a flu-like illness.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us