Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Pain Beneath Finger Nails

jeraldine - Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:58 pm

My right index finger has excruciating pain when the nail above the cuticle (the pink area) is pushed on or accidentally hit.

I did an X-ray on this finger before and there is no signs of abnormality.

My finger looks perfectly normal except for the pain. No redness, no blue or yellow colouring and no swelling.

The pain has been there for the last two years and the doctors that I've been to are not able to give me any concrete explanation other than to keep that finger dry.

I'm female and am 22 this year. No one in my family is experiencing a similar condition and I am not on any current medication.

I have a few questions..

(1) What should my next step be?

(2) Is there any treatment I can undertake to cure the pain?

(3) Can someone please shed some light as to what is wrong with my finger?

Thank you!

Last edited on Sun Dec
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:55 pm

User avatar Hi Jeraldine,

I'm a bit uncertain as to what this may be due to. I would suggest you consider seeing a neurologist to see if this may be due to a nerve hypersensitivity.

Beyond this I can't think of any possible causes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.