Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Antibiotics for mono?

storaged - Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi, I am an 18-year-old female. About a month ago I had a severe sore throat, cough, fever, etc. My doctor just looked in my throat and said it was pharyngitis, and prescribed me a Z-pack. The Z-pack did nothing, so we called her back and she prescribed Amoxicillin. After finishing the Amoxicillin I felt better for a few days, but now I feel weak, my throat has white in it, my lymph nodes are swollen, my temperature is 101, and I have body aches. I looked up the symptoms and thought I probably had mono, so I went back to the doctor today. She felt my lymph nodes, took my temperature, and took a throat culture, and told me I was right. But then she prescribed me more Amoxicillin.

My question is, will Amoxicillin help in any way? I know mono is a virus and I'm very against taking unnecessary antibiotics. Is there any possible way more antibiotics could help with mono?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 pm

User avatar Hi Storaged,

If your infection is mono antibiotics will not help. In fact, taking the amoxicillin may cause a rash. Mono is caused by ebstein-barr virus (EBV). There is an interaction between EBV and amoxicillin that causes a rash to develop all over the body.

EBV can be tested for with a blood test called a monospot.

If the sore throat is caused by the group A strep bacteria, the amoxicillin is appropriate. Strep can also be tested for.

I would suggest you talk with your doctor about having these tested for.