Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: zit/bump on genitals, Could this be HPV/HSV?

JacobE - Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:22 am

Hello, I would be very grateful if you could read this and tell me in your opinion what the symptoms point to, My doctor didn't know. I'm getting tested tomorrow & don't think its HSV, it doesn't look like any pictures I've found of HSV/HPV. Here goes, (PS: the images are cropped,not very graphic)

6 days ago I noticed what looked like a mosquito bite with a whitehead in the center, or large zit. I popped it like a zit and white puss came out. I wasn't too alarmed--I've had smaller zits in my pubic region. However this one was on the lower side of my penis, and a bit larger then the tiny zits I've had before. It bled a tiny bit more then I expected it too when popped, and healed a bit different--I monitored it healing closely and I'm almost sure it didn't scab. At this point it looks entirely healed but left a (?shinier), slightly raised light pink bump of skin where it was originally, it doesn't look like a scar to me. I have no other symptoms, and I don't remember it itching or hurting.
Here is a picture of the bump it left behind:
http://hidebehind.com/img/53/53077F.jpg

From what I've read herpes scab over, is it possible to have an HSV-2 spot that looks & pops like a zit, has white puss, doesn't scab, and completely closes up 5 days later leaving a small bump of skin? (this bump is what worries me)

its possible that there is one more smaller zit/bump i popped in the same area, but its too small to tell.

The things that look like small zits in the past didn't worry me, but thinking back when i popped these the whitehead seemed to be more solid/squishy and tiny (unlike the one i have now), these other spots on my pubic region rarely leave behind a light pink dot that looks like this pic but ARENT raised:
http://hidebehind.com/img/1B/1BB012.jpg

In fear of having HSV-2, Could you tell me if either of these is likely to be HSV-2 or HPV, or what else this could be based on the description and images?

My details are as follows, 22 year old man, no previous diagnoses, (clean std screening 6 months ago), I practive safer sex, no past surgeries or family history of problems (outside of lupus), and no meds.

Thanks & God Bless,

Jacob E.

(I forgot to add that this seems to of developed completely over night while i was asleep, within the span of 9 hours)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:14 pm

User avatar Hello JacobE,

It is hard to say for sure but I don't think these spots are HPV. They almost certainly aren't HSV. Actually, I don't think they are an STD at all; however, I would recommend you be tested to be sure since many STD's can be asymptomatic (particularly in men).

These spots may be an irritated hair follicle or possible a Fordyce spot. If these do not improve I would recommend you see your doctor again for a follow up.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us