Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Red spots and rashes on penis and foreskin

 terror2002 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:32 pm


I had unprotected sex with my gf yesterday, about 3 times that night. My penis gradually started hurting and the 3rd time was quite unpleasant (first time I had unprotected sex). A few hours later, maybe 5 or so, I noticed these red spots on my foreskin and something that looked like rashes on the head of the penis. I'm not having problems with urinating, it doesn't hurt when I do. My penis also doesn't really itch. I'm quite worried though because I don't know what it could be. Could it be balanitis or herpes or another STD? Or just some irritation from the sweat and body fluids? Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:19 pm

User avatar Hi Terror2002,

The time course is pretty short to be an STD. More likely, you have some irritation from trauma and friction. If the redness gets worse, or if it isn't getting better in the next few days I would recommend you see your doctor.

In men, STD's are commonly asymptomatic so I would suggest you be tested if STD's are possible.

Best wishes.
 helpplz - Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:34 pm

i don't have a red spot on my penis but it looks like a dried up area on it, it appeared where i used to have a zit there but i don't think its normal because with other zits on my penis they would just go away and not leave a dry spot. It doesnt itch or irritate me but i am concerned. i do masturbate, yesterday i noticed it while doing so. is this what caused that dry area on my penis??? if so how can i cure it
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 am

User avatar Hello,yeast infections are common and do cause dry area on the penile skin.Antifungal cremes like canesten do help.Nothing to worry anyway.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us