Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Sore throad negative for strep what could it be?

soccer88 - Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 am

About 4 months ago- I had a very bad sore throat. When I looked in the mirror- I could see - a lump with pus all over it. The lump almost looked liked a beehive- it looked like bubbles. I went to the doctor and they told me it was strep throat. He gave me Zithromax. I took all of it - and it had disappeared. However, the bubbles have always been there- they look better than they did before and not as swollen. Two months ago at a physical the dr looked in my throat and retested me for strep and it came back negative.

Now today- I can look in my throat and see the bubbles, no white stuff. What could it possibly be? I have had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 12. I'm currently 26 years old.

It's kind of scary. It's on the right side of my throat. Is this normal?? I feel fine. But - scared it could be more.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:27 pm

User avatar Hi Soccer88,

Typically, tonsillar tissue is full of holes that could look like honeycombs. It is possible for tonsils to grow back some following a tonsillectomy. This may be what you are seeing .

Several viruses can also cause symptoms that mimic strep throat. If you are having pain but are strep negative this may be what is going on.