Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: swollen tonsils,white bumps,sore roof of mouth

AmberMo - Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 am

I have swollen tonsils (on both sides) small white bumps that disappear/appear. skin on the roof of my mouth is elevated and extremely sore. It is not strep, I've had that numerous times and know what that is. At first I thought that's what it was but it's not. It is extremely sore when I eat/drink. Bread/meat/as well as sauces really burns it. Sound familiar to anyone?Please help
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 am

User avatar Hi AmberMo,

You may have an infection with a virus called Ebstein Barr Virus (EBV). EBV is a classic mimic of strep throat. It can cause very severe throat pain and a white layer on the tonsils.

EBV is the virus that causes mononucleosis. It can be tested for easily with a test called a monospot (a blood test). The results often come back within a few hours from the lab.