Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Pain after sex

dancbabe89 - Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 pm

Doctor, after having sex my vaginal area is very sore. It hurts a whole lot the first time I use the restroom after intercourse, but only then. It is typically a long period of time between each encounter. I am wondering if there is something wrong or if it is just the time gap that is making me have so much pain.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 pm

There are many causes for pain associated with intercourse. Some reasons include:
* Vaginal dryness
* Side effects of drugs
* An allergic reaction to clothing, spermicides or douches
* Endometriosis
* Inflammation of the area surrounding the vaginal opening, called vulvar vestibulitis
* Skin diseases affecting the vaginal area
* Urinary tract infections, yeast infections, or sexually transmitted diseases
* Psychological trauma, perhaps resulting from sexual abuse or trauma in the past

I would recommend an exam. Give your doctor your complete history, including psychological trauma. There are treatment options but it is important to first determine the cause of the problem and an exam would be the place to start.