Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Getting HIV or HCV from sharing lancets to test Blood Sugar

220095 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 am

If you use a friends lancet used by diabetics to test blood sugar, what is the likelyhood of getting HIV of a form of hepetitis or any other disease. I don't know if the person has any disease, but I don't think they do. They had already used the lancet, so i assumed that there was a chance of contacting something, but I wanted to know how likely it was. The lancet was sterilized with a lighter and alcohol. Thank You
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 am

User avatar Hello 220095,

In general, the risk of transmission of a blood born illness such as HIV or hepatitis is significantly less with solid needles, such as a lancet, than it is with a hollow needle, such as injection needles; however, the risk is not zero.

Your risk is probably fairly low since these viruses are not particularly strong and the heat/alcohol will help destroy them. I would still recommend against sharing needles, including lancets because even with the best of sterilizing techniques there is still a small chance that an infection could be spread.