Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Getting HIV or HCV from sharing lancets to test Blood Sugar

220095 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 am

If you use a friends lancet used by diabetics to test blood sugar, what is the likelyhood of getting HIV of a form of hepetitis or any other disease. I don't know if the person has any disease, but I don't think they do. They had already used the lancet, so i assumed that there was a chance of contacting something, but I wanted to know how likely it was. The lancet was sterilized with a lighter and alcohol. Thank You
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 am

User avatar Hello 220095,

In general, the risk of transmission of a blood born illness such as HIV or hepatitis is significantly less with solid needles, such as a lancet, than it is with a hollow needle, such as injection needles; however, the risk is not zero.

Your risk is probably fairly low since these viruses are not particularly strong and the heat/alcohol will help destroy them. I would still recommend against sharing needles, including lancets because even with the best of sterilizing techniques there is still a small chance that an infection could be spread.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us