Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: small blisters on shaft of penis

 helpme18 - Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Hey, about a month ago ive noticed these small blisters on the shaft of my penis..ive never had oral sex or intercourse im still a virgin..Although my girlfriend had flet and touch my penis..I do not know what these are and im very worried..Im only 15 so i have not finished puberty and i am what they call a late bloomer..Anything guys? im also afraid to talk to my parents about this.. So anything i can do to help this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi Helpme18,

If these are truly blisters then herpes must be a consideration. It would be unusual for a person to contract genital herpes without sexual contact. Transmission from hand touching would be very difficult (though possible if a person had a cold sore or other herpes lesion that they had just touched then touched the penis immediately after-this would be pretty rare though since the virus does not survive well on the skin).

If these are not true blisters but instead are small lumps there are many more possibilities. These would include a bump from a virus called molluscum contagiosum. These bumps are usually about 2 mm in size and have a central dimple. They may also be fordyce spots. These are normal findings on the penis shaft.

If these spots continue I would suggest you have your doctor evaluate these when you are in next for a check up.

Best wishes.
 helpme18 - Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 pm

these are not like blisters but more like bumps with something dot in the middle like u said..what can i do to git rid of these and r these contagious? Any cream or anything to put on these? thank u very much
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 pm

User avatar With the central dimple, these are most likely a bump from a virus called molluscum contagiosum. These bumps will ultimately go away on their own but it may take a few years. They can also be treated by your doctor with treatments similar to wart removal treatments. I am not sure if over-the-counter wart removers would work on these as I've never tried.

I would recommend seeing a doctor about these the next time you are in the office just to be sure that this is what is going on.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us