Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: sore on genital area

sandy431 - Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:32 pm

One year ago I found a small canker-like sore on my vaginal area, bordering on the area where hair grows and where it does not. I have not had another occurrence before or since. Is herpes the only possibility?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:48 pm

User avatar Hi Sandy431,

Herpes is certainly a possibility. Herpes lesions can present initially then not result in any further outbreaks for a long time.

The other possibility is that your initial sore was due to a blocked gland or pore that became mildly infected.

If you redevelop a lesion I would recommend you have it evaluated to determine if this is herpes. There is also a blood test for antibodies against the herpes virus that can be done to help determine if an infection is present.