Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fearful of tetanus

nickery - Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

A few days to a week ago, I can't remember exactly when, one of my cats jumped up onto my lap and gave me a small puncture wound on my leg. This morning when I woke up, I was having some spasms in the muscle near this wound. They are mild; I would not even call them painful. Having heard that tetanus causes muscle spasms, I did some reasearch. I have not had the "lockjaw," but did have some mild spasms on one side of my neck a couple of days ago that lasted less then a day and then stopped, as well as stiffness in my left calf yesterday. I had the typical vaccination as a child, but have had no boosters since then. I know tetanus is rare, but I can't help worrying that this is a possibility. Should I make a doctor's appointment?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm

User avatar Hello Nickery,

In general your risk of tetanus is low. The recommendations are to have a tetanus booster every 10 years. Getting a booster, even after the wound, increases the protection so it is a good idea to see your doctor for a booster tetanus if possible.

If you being to have any muscle pain or the spasms get any worse I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation of this to see if there is an infection or signs of diseases such as tetanus.