Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fearful of tetanus

nickery - Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

A few days to a week ago, I can't remember exactly when, one of my cats jumped up onto my lap and gave me a small puncture wound on my leg. This morning when I woke up, I was having some spasms in the muscle near this wound. They are mild; I would not even call them painful. Having heard that tetanus causes muscle spasms, I did some reasearch. I have not had the "lockjaw," but did have some mild spasms on one side of my neck a couple of days ago that lasted less then a day and then stopped, as well as stiffness in my left calf yesterday. I had the typical vaccination as a child, but have had no boosters since then. I know tetanus is rare, but I can't help worrying that this is a possibility. Should I make a doctor's appointment?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm

User avatar Hello Nickery,

In general your risk of tetanus is low. The recommendations are to have a tetanus booster every 10 years. Getting a booster, even after the wound, increases the protection so it is a good idea to see your doctor for a booster tetanus if possible.

If you being to have any muscle pain or the spasms get any worse I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation of this to see if there is an infection or signs of diseases such as tetanus.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us