Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: gonorrhea location in a monogamous relationship

just32 - Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:30 pm

is it possible for a married man who only has intercourse with his wife to have gonorrhea in the throat and not the genitals?
 just32 - Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 pm

I recently found out that its possible if he wore a condom. The thing I'm thinking of is how can he get it in his throat? I read that its only transferred from oral between a males genitals and the throat but u can't get it from oral ith a female. So does that mean he had to have had oral with a male to get it in the throat?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:07 pm

I don't know from your questions whether or not the person in question has ever had oral sex with a male, and while oropharangeal gonorreah is rare via heterosexual oral sex, it is entirely possible and should not be ruled out, especially if it is possible the man's female partner has or might have gonorreah.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck to you.