Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: A skin thing - fungus?

 merrysmom - Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:02 am

I have a bad habit of picking at the hard, rough skin around my nails. (I'm working hard to stop.) I recently noticed my 2-yr.-old daughter picking at her nails, and thought, "Oh no, she's imitating me." However, upon inspection of her fingers and toes, I can see patches of dead skin. The skin on her fingertips looks there's been a blister and the top layer of skin has separated from the rest, not hard and rough like mine. I don't think she caused it by picking, but is picking at it because it's there. She hasn't had any trauma like a burn, and she doesn't handle any substances that could cause this. She also has a place around the side edge of one her nails that is red and inflammed, like I frequently get. Now, I'm wondering if I have a fungus that she has caught. The fingernails and toenails themselves look just fine - it's just the skin that is the issue. Should we seek treatment for this? Or is it possible that the dead skin on her fingers and toes is just normal sloughing? She doesn't have this anywhere else. We have a checkup on 10/4 - if this needs treatment, can it wait 'til then?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:41 am

User avatar Hello,
It would be hard to speculate over the internet what is causing her manifestations. Since you say there seems to be an inflammation in the surrounding skin, I would suggest that you seek medical advice as soon as possible.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us