Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: STD from urine in restroom?

gradboy08 - Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Dear Doctor, today I was using a public toilet and as I was sitting down, I noticed that someone had left a pool of urine on the floor. I threw some toilet paper on there so that it wouldn't get on my pants. Problem is, after I was done, when I tried to put that t.p. from the floor in the toilet, I think some of the damp paper touched my hand.

I am worried, because although I washed my hands several times, there were a couple cuts on my hand. Is there any chance that I might have got HIV or another STD in this way?

Sincerely yours,
A Worrier
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Urine and tears are not considered infectious even in HIV positive people. To get HIV from another person, the virus must be present and in sufficient quantity and then it must get into your bloodstream.

Handwashing is considered adequate protection following this type of exposure. Try to stop worrying.