Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: My vagina is itchy.

 vlp732 - Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 pm

I recently had protected intercourse with a new partner, just ending my period.
The next day, I took the Plan B pill.
Ever since, my vagina has been very itchy. My discharge is normal. It is not chunky, smelly, or discolored.
I feel physically fine, my vagina just won't stop itching.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you may have a pH change related to the hormonal fluctuation caused by plan B. This will likely resolve but could be the beginning of a yeast infection (or possibly other infection). You could try treating it with over-the-counter antifungal creams but if it continues you should see a doctor for accurate diagnosis.

Take care.
 Tanyamariie - Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:25 pm

My problem is similar to this ladys. Me and my boyfriend have both been tested for hiv, and other stds and we both are clean. we have been dating for almost two years now and we still use a condom. Recently, i had gotten off of my period and we had intercourse using a condom. But eversince, my vagina has been very itchy. there isnt any stench or clumps in the discharge. It is a little bit more cloudy now but not so much as a yeat infection. no burning or anything it just itches and i don't know what it is or what to do.
 cmm - Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 pm

so i've been checked a little bit ago and i'm a ok...i recently had protected sex however the condom came off inside of me...i got it out after a few tries. at the same time i just finished some antibiotics for a sinus infection. which was extremely uncomfortable and and left me feeling funny the next day. also i go to school all day fit in the gym and wait tables at night so needless to say there is a lot of movement and sweating going on and time for only one shower. for the past three nights when i'm laying in bed to go to sleep i'm really itchy!! its very uncomfortable and of course since its sensitive down there if i mess with it it starts to hurt so i try to leave it alone. i tried wetting a clean hand towl and dabbing and letting air dry. and in the morning and next day i'm fine! no abnormal discharge no smell no bumps. No money for doctor right now...what do u think? combination of all? any home remedy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:36 am

User avatar Hello,
The safest guess (and easiest to treat) is yeast infection. This is a common ailment among women and is especially likely since you have been on antibiotics. You can treat this yourself with over-the-counter antifungal cream. In men this is called "jock itch" and the same cream works for that. Look in the women's personal hygiene section of your pharmacy.

If that does not do the trick, you may need to see a healthcare provider for a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes.
 Lovehurts918 - Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:22 am

Hi I am a young girl and I am not sexually active and my vagina has been itchy like crazy. i don't know wat to do. I had been using this monstat thing to releive itching but that doesnt work. RIght now I am trying to do some home remedies. I am trying sitz baths. I don't know if it works. Please help me! I try scratching it and it wont work. This itching is driving me crazy. please help me!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
You need to see your health care provider because yeast is the most common cause and the monistat should work for that. You need to find the correct diagnosis and this is the only way I know for that to happen.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us