Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: itchy penis

 oed123 - Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:07 pm

im an 18 year uncircumcized male, just last week i had sex for the first time with my girlfriend. maybe two days after that she gave me oral and thats when my problems started. my penis would start to really itch especially at the end of my foreskin. i pulled it back to take a look for myself and there were some reddish areas on the head of my penis as well as a white substance. so ive been washing down there pretty thoroughly for the past week and the itching has subsided especially after showering. But once in awhile ill feel an itch on the tip of my foreskin. other than the itching subsiding, there are still reddish areas on the head of my penis as well as the meatus. I don't know what else to do, and im kind of reluctant to go to the doctor but will go in any case. However any ideas as to whats plaguing my poor friend?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm

User avatar Hello -

There are many potential causes of this sort of thing, from simple irritation to a superficial infection, hygeine issues (which could cause either irritation or infection) or irritation due to excessive frequency of sex. It's really difficult (and unwise) to try and guess at something like this at a distance, so I do hope you'll bring this to the attention of a doctor at once. Trust me, the doctor won't be judging your behavior or your "friend."

Good luck to you.
 khush - Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 am

I am also having a similar problem. I suspect that my pensis got hurt by my wife's pubic hair (as they are very hard and pricky). Can you please suggest which speciality doctor should i visit as i have no idea regarding doctors in my town.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us