Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Mild Case of Night Sweats

JY2000 - Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 am

I woke up last night experiencing a mild case of night sweats. It was not the "drenching" kind that some people talk about but apparently it was enough to wake me up. Immediately upon waking up I took my temp with an oral thermometer which indicated 96.1 (obviously much lower than normal). Despite having a low temperature, I felt warm so I proceeded to turn on a fan and remove a layer of covers. I then went back to sleep but did not sleep well due to being worried. This particular episode occurred approximately 3 hours after initially going to sleep. This marks the third time that I have had this happen in the past 10-12 days.

Please note that I came down with flu-like symptoms 2 weeks ago. I had one episode of drenching night sweats while being sick (which I'm assuming is normal for any viral infection inducing a fever). Since then, I feel like I have recovered from being sick but have had 3 episodes of these mild night sweats accompanied with a lower-than-normal body temperature. Any idea what is going on here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
Night sweats can be a symptom of infection so you should have this checked by your health care provider. TB would be one such infection so it is wise to be sure. Aside from this I would wonder about heat-regulating problems that might be triggered by an endocrine problem so your doctor might also want to check your thyroid function.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us