Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Shingles - Is it contagious or not?

Cowboy1978 - Fri May 09, 2008 12:22 pm

Okay, I have tried to look this topic up online but am honestly very confused.

My friend has shingles and I am confused as to wether or not it is contagious.

I have HAD chickenpox before and so has my wife, but our baby has not. If you HAVE HAD chickenpox, is it contagious? From what I read it's only contagious if you HAVE NOT had chickenpox... soo please help?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:02 pm

User avatar I'm sorry we didn't get to this question sooner but for the benefit of others the answer is yes and no. Typically it is not contagious - you don't usually get shingles from someone else with shingles but you should nevertheless use good handwashing when exposed to any contagious disease since there are always rare exceptions to every rule. If someone has not had chicken pox, theoretically they could get it from exposure to shingles, but not nearly as easily as they could get it from someone with chickenpox.