Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Extremely swollen glands

Andi5145 - Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Hello
The glands in my neck, not including my thyroid, are swollen and hard. They are bigger than golf balls and getting bigger and bigger. I have white pimple-like sores on the back of my throat and on my uvula. It's getting harder and harder to swallow, and I am choking on my saliva because it is too thick. I am having difficulty taking pills. I went to the doctor's office, but he said it was negative for Strep Throat. I also have a fever of 102. Please help! No doctor offices are open, and I can't afford the ER unless absolutely necessary. I have tried Ibuprofen and Bayer, but nothing will take away the pain or reduce the swelling.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:58 pm

You don't have to have a strep infection specifically to have the symptoms you've got, and this really deserves aggressive antibiotic therapy while tests (blood cultures) are done to determine the speficic organism responsible so that the most effective antibiotic can be used. You should be followed until things start to improve, also, since you sound as though you may be developing epiglotitis, which can be serious since it can compromise your airway. I hope you decided to make that ER visit, as you cannot afford to try and ride out an infection involving the airway, nor one that is advanced enough to cause such severe swelling of the lymph nodes.

I hope you are doing better by now. Please update us.