Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Rash around Genitals spreading to other parts of body

 dcrob2 - Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:43 am

Hello, I'm in Cambodia at the moment I've been traveling and working in Asia for 7 months but in the past four days I've start to develop a rash in various places in my body.

Insect/mosquito bites are fairly standard but about four nights ago I ended up going to bed one night (quite drunk admittedly) with exceptionally itchy testicles. The next morning both my balls and penis were bright red and since then small spots have begun to develop along the shaft of my penis starting on the underside and working their way around. As well as this I started to get spots along my inner thighs.

I don't believe this to be an STD because I've not had sex since I've been out here in asia (7 months) so I would presume an std is low probability.

Some additional info, spots have started to develop in other areas but only 4-5 in each general area and with no great concentration in one place they just seem to appear randomly, other than my penis and thighs where the greatest concentration is I've got 4-5 on each of my hands a small number on my upper chest below my neck and a scattering around my torso also quite a few more on my back. The ones on my front and hands have only really come in the last few days.

At present I'm staying in a fan room, no air con, as you can imagine it's quite hot here and due to work I spend more than a few hours per day lying down in bed working on my laptop, I suspect I may have developed something fungal from being in such conditions but that's pure guesswork on my part.

I bought some Anti-bacterial/Anti-fungal/Anti puritic cream from the local pharmacy and applied that to my testicles and thighs, it had an immediate effect of making them alot less itchy but there is still some discomfort, also my balls are significantly less inflamed but perhaps this is down to less scratching. I did this yesterday could you recommend how long to apply the cream (doing so twice per day) before I get some kind of indication it's helping?

Anyway I hope I've given enough information here, one final thing the spots themselves on my hands seem to be around 1-2mm in size and some have a small clear like bubble of liquid which doesn't seem to be puss. It's possible the ones on my hands and genitals arn't related but that seems unlikely.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
The typical body fungus or groin fungus is caused by a dermatophyte (a parasitic fungus) and presents with a flat, red, itchy rash. The patches of rash may have a central clearing with raised red borders and may have flaking.
Jock itch usually spares the penis.

There is a variant fungal infection on the body in which the fungi invade the hair follicles. The diagnosis is pitryosporum folliculitis (caused by Malassezia furfur). However this usually does not affect the hands.

Other considerations in the differential diagnosis are:
body lice or scabies
viral infection (e.g. coxsackie)
molluscum contagiosum
lichen planus

As with many dermatological cases, we try a topical cream to treat the working diagnosis and watch for efficacy.

Controlling the itch is important as this provide relief but also prevents bacterial secondary infection. Oral anti-histamines and topical steroids may help.

Fungal infections of course are treated with anti - fungal creams like clotrimazole for 2 weeks. If wide spread rash, then use an oral anti-fungal. Diflucan may be a good option (controls yeast and fungi).

Nevertheless, see a physician for definite diagnosis and treatment.

Let us know how it goes.
 njguy5555 - Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:05 pm

ok.....for the past 4 years i have had a rash on the mid point of the shaft. Its on the back side of penis. its a rough scarred up wrinkled area right above the circumcision line. its also has Very tiny red bumps almost skin tag looking. need light to really see. and the skin looks to be red/brown inflammed and kind of causing a border especially on the circum line. What could it be? latley i have been putting on ketoconazole 2% and looks somewhat better in the past 3 days since applying. also have a red bump(very small that looks like it has a whitehead or pore in the area, which is causing some scarring. Any advice????
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 am

User avatar Hello,These look like PearlyPenilePapules which are found along the rim.These if so, are not of any significance except nuisance value because these cause fear of STD.These represent a few glands which show hypertrophy but are normal.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us