Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: MRSA Contact

 Pammiesue - Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm

My brother is in the hospital with Pneumonia. I visited him today only to find out later that he was moved to a private room because he has MRSA. He had recently been treated for MRSA prior to this hospital stay. I hugged him and kissed him on the cheek as usual when I was leaving. Am I at risk for contacting MRSA?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 pm

User avatar Hello -

While you are, statistically, at somewhat greater risk of contracting MRSA from close contact with your brother, it is by no means a certainty. MRSA is extremely common in the general population and your brother may have had it prior to admission to the hospital. The best thing you can do is simply be aware of any unusual symptoms which may develop, and these would include either persistent upper respiratory infection or skin rash which doesn't go away within 48 hours. If either should happen you would then need to have cultures taken to determine if you have, in fact, developed MRSA. So many of us are exposed to it routinely that it is most often transmitted in the hospital setting simply because hospitals have a lot of sick (and so already weakened) people in them.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and I hope your brother is well very soon.
 emsage - Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 pm


I work in a residential facility for developmentally disabled adults. One elderly man I work with was diagnosed with MRSA in his urine one year ago. He has a leg catheter and as employees we take precautions with gloves and goggles when emptying it. However, yesterday this man spit at me while we were talking (he can be verbally agressive) and his saliva got into my eyes. I was not wearing goggles at the time. I immediately flushed my eyes with water. I notified my boss, who suggested that I go to my doctor. When I called my doctor, she said that she did not think I need to be tested. I am concerned about what I have read about MRSA infecting the eye, and my eyes have been feeling more watery and "goopy" than normal all day-as if I have just woken up. It is allergy season, but my eyes did not feel this way yesterday. Should I get tested, and if so, what kind of test should I ask for? Thank you very much in advance for your advice. Em-sage
 concern1 - Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:30 am

My grandfather has been in the hospital for a number of things demtia, alz., lung cancer, esoph. cancer, c.h.f., etc. anyways he's dying, well my husband, my 15 year old son , and myself have been there with him alot and I have really been looking out for him, helping him, and most definately loving on him because I love him so much. He's my bestfriend.I do sanitize my hands and all but today8/2/09 the nurse came in quarintined the room and said his blood work came up positive for MSRA in his blood and urine and I am really worried because I have a 1 yr old at home and a 5 yr old at home and I definately don't want to bring anything home to them and also my 15 year old, I worry about all of us really because my dad urinated on my husband and myself yesterday and the day before not to mention how much we have been loving on him.I am really scared about this because what if we didn't sanitize good enough or what if we didn't do something right because we had no idea that he was contagious with anything like that. So basically what I am asking is, is there anyway we could be tested to see if we have been infected with this or shall I say is there any type of test you can get to determine if you have contracted it before it becomes an outbreak and the whole house has it?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us