Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Small red bumps on underside of penis.

soccerbloke - Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:27 pm

This is the second time I have had this painless, itchless rash on the underside of my penis. They are pin-sized, red, raised bumps but they do not blister or pop or anything and eventually in a few days they just get dry and scab over and then they're gone. I have regular unprotected sex with my girlfriend (who has been tested and is on the pill). I have had blood work done recently when I was in the hospital for a viral infection and everything came up fine. I think that this could be a soap allergy as the last time I got this I switched soap to one with exfoliating beads. Any advice? I can send a picture if need be.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm

User avatar Hello,

These lesions are likely to be due to dermatitis.
Dermatitis are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).

- Infections like:
Herpes simplex usually presents with small, very painful blisters that burst into then scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

Friction and fungus cause red patches that are also itchy. Obese and active people are more susceptible.

- Dermatitis can occur also due to contact with an allergen or irritant like soap, creams, synthetic cloth, or after vigorous sexual intercourse or masturbation.

Direct clinical examination is essential, so I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper management.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us