Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Possible transmission of herpes

uncertain - Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:08 pm

First, thanks for your time answering my question. I do appreciate the time you invest in helping me.

Here is what happened. I came in contact with a person I know has herpes. I did not have sex or anything but I am 99.9% sure I touched it by mistake (quick skin contact I felt bumps and I got a quick glimpse). Shortly after that I went to the bathrooms cause I really had to pee and without thinking I touched my genital area to be able to pee. I instantly felt a sharp sting around the area I touched. I have been feeling something like a tingling stretchy feeling in the area I came in contact with (shaft of the penis) for the past 15 hours. This feeling comes and goes. Within 2 hours I washed the area with non-antibacterial soap and within 12 hours with anti-bacterial soap. 15 hours for shower, I just got out. I understand that it takes anywhere between 3 to 14 days for initial outbreak if you have contracted herpes.

I would appreciate any preventive advice and the medical chances I have at not getting herpes versus getting herpes.

Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

This would be a very unlikely transmission. It usually takes intimate contact for this. Sexually transmitted diseases are just that - sexually transmitted; not casually caught through touching.

Try not to worry about this but whenever you are sexually active it is a good idea to be checked for diseases.