Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Possible transmission of herpes

uncertain - Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi,

First, thanks for your time answering my question. I do appreciate the time you invest in helping me.

Here is what happened. I came in contact with a person I know has herpes. I did not have sex or anything but I am 99.9% sure I touched it by mistake (quick skin contact I felt bumps and I got a quick glimpse). Shortly after that I went to the bathrooms cause I really had to pee and without thinking I touched my genital area to be able to pee. I instantly felt a sharp sting around the area I touched. I have been feeling something like a tingling stretchy feeling in the area I came in contact with (shaft of the penis) for the past 15 hours. This feeling comes and goes. Within 2 hours I washed the area with non-antibacterial soap and within 12 hours with anti-bacterial soap. 15 hours for shower, I just got out. I understand that it takes anywhere between 3 to 14 days for initial outbreak if you have contracted herpes.

I would appreciate any preventive advice and the medical chances I have at not getting herpes versus getting herpes.

Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
This would be a very unlikely transmission. It usually takes intimate contact for this. Sexually transmitted diseases are just that - sexually transmitted; not casually caught through touching.

Try not to worry about this but whenever you are sexually active it is a good idea to be checked for diseases.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us