Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: groin lymph node very sore

 harpoday - Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 am

Hello. I just wanted to say since february 08 I have had cases with strep throat more than 10 times. Although I have a appointment with the ENT in October I have a new symptom come up and it is really bothering me. I woke up this morning with extreme pain on both sides of my groin. I checked my right side and my lymph node is really sore to the touch and swollen and my vaginal area is really warm. Also when I go to use the restroom where my lymph node is swollen i will have this horrible pain until I am done urinating. Now it doesnt burn to pee or anything it just hurts in that one stop. ALso along with this I have suffereing extreme lower back pain and pain shooting down into my right leg and down into my knee. Any advice? I am tired of going to the ER and I am debating if I should go or wait it out.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:24 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Based on the symptoms you describe I wouldn't wait it out. Something is seriously wrong down there, and is probably indicative of an infection of some sort. It's really difficult to say from a distance, but I can tell you this is neither normal nor likely to go away on its own, and even if it does improve you still need to be checked. There are too many possible causes, many of them potentially serious, and you can't afford to let it just go.

Please do go to an ER or acute care walk-in if not a general practitioner, get this evaluated, and then please let us know how things go from there. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us