Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Blood Results for Mono

bbz_kelso - Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 pm

What do following blood work results mean?
CBC- WBC 16.4 (x10E3/uL) HIGH
NEUTROPHILS 71 (%) HIGH
LYMPHS 24 (%) LOW
NEUTROPHILS (ABSOLUTE) 11.6 (x10E3/uL) HIGH

MONONUCLEOSIS TEST, QUAL RESULT - NEG. REFERENCE INTERVAL - NEG.
THE SENSITIVITY OF HETEROPHILE ANTIBODY TESTING IS 80-90%.
EPSTEIN BARR IgM TESTING OFFERS HIGHER SENSITIVITY.
I was told I had mono, but IT says tests were negative.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:04 pm

User avatar Hi bbz_kelso,
Symptoms of mononucleosis may range from an elevated temperature, sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, fatigue, etc., just to name a few. Generally speaking mono is diagnosed by a positive monospot test. Did your physician also perform an Epstein Barr titer? Are you continuing to experience symptoms and were additional lab diagnostics along with a physicial evaluation completed? If not I would encourage you to contact your primary care provider. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us