Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Can it be Rabies?

vertigal - Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:36 pm

I was in the Carribbean a few days ago and while I was there, staying at a resort, I was bitten by one of the cats that roamed around, while I was lazily petting it. I found out later that these cats around the resort were actually strays. I had immediately washed the area where I was bitten (on my hand) and only noticed red swelling from the bitemark. The next day it was gone. My friends said in jest that I got rabies but I didn't care since I thought the skin wasn't even pierced. But yesterday (3 days after the bite) I noticed a very small, thin scab there. Now I'm wondering if I should get tested. I feel so ridiculous but should I really be concerned?
Ive tried calling doctors but no one is around to help me so I'm hoping someone can provide guidance here.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:08 pm

User avatar Hello:
I advise strongly that you go to the doctor and have it checked. My main concern is not Rabies, but rather an infection called "cat-scratch" disease.

Cat-scratch disease is an infection caused by bacteria (germs) carried in cat saliva. The bacteria can be passed from a cat to a human.
You can get cat-scratch disease from a cat bite or cat scratch. You can get the infection after a cat scratches you if the cat's paws have the bacteria on them. (A cat can get the bacteria on its paws when it licks itself.) With a cat bite, the cat can pass the bacteria to you in its saliva. You can also get the bacteria in your eyes if you pet a cat that has the bacteria on its fur and then rub your eyes. Many people who get cat-scratch disease do not remember being scratched or bitten by a cat.
Cat-scratch disease is not a severe illness in people who are healthy. But it can be a problem in people with weak immune systems.

Some warnings signs to look out for would be:
A cat scratch or bite that does not heal in the usual length of time.
An area of redness around a cat scratch or bite that continues to get bigger for more than 2 days after the injury.
Fever that lasts for several days after a cat scratch or bite.
Painful and swollen lymph nodes for more than 2 or 3 weeks.
Bone or joint pain, abdominal pain (without fever, vomiting or diarrhea) or an unusual degree of tiredness for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Hopefully, this will go away and will only be an unpleasant memory.
Regards,
Carolyn

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us