Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Brown spots/blotches on my pinis?

 znatas - Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm

a few years back i noticed some strange brown marks on my pinis(i"m white) mostly at the head.they range in size.they are not raised and lvl with my skin. it's hard to explain. iv'e started to notice a couple more pop up recently and it has got me worried.i am 19 years old and have had sex before. i masurbate allot and wondering if it could be some sort off friction scaring. there is no discomfort or ichyness.
Help would be much appreciated.
 znatas - Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 am

I think it may be a case of Vitiligo Penis. can someone please give me some info about this condition. like...
will it spread?
or what sort of treatments (if any) are avalable for this condition?
is it contagious?

please help this is doing my head in and im not the sort of type to whip my pinis out infront of a strange doctor. thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:23 pm

User avatar Hello,

Mild repeated irritation (mechanical like tight cloth with frequent friction or chemical like exposure to irritant creams or soap) can result in dark skin areas. In this case avoiding irritation will make it fade away by its own.

Other causes include fungal infections. Certain types of fungi can result in skin color changes.

On the other hand vitiligo causes depigmentation (loss of color) of the skin and commonly affects people with darker skins.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper treatment approach.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us