Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Anti-Streptolysin-O at 800 IU/mL !

 perche - Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm

I have had reoccurring throat infections for the past two years. From December 07 until now I have had 10 bouts of sickness, which include a high fever (39-40 degrees Celsius) and very sore throat. No cases were ever tested for strep (too much of a hassle, I presume.) As the throat infections did not go away on their own, after 3-5 days, I was prescribed antibiotics. I have taken 8 different antibiotic treatments in this time period. In June the doctor tested for anti-streotolysin-O for the first time. It resulted in 800 IU/mL. I had no fever at the time, though I have an almost constant sore throat. Now at the end of October I had it tested again and it was 577 IU/mL. Throat swab was negative for Streptococco beta emolitico "A". (I live in Italy and that is what it is called.) The doctor here wants to put me on penicillin shots, 1200 ml, twice a month for six months. Another doctor has recommended I have my tonsils removed. Can you give me any advice?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:25 pm

User avatar Hello,
The anti-streptolysin-o (ASO) is a blood test detecting antibody to group A streptococcus infection.
Normal range is <200 IU (adults)
ASO reaches its peak about 3 weeks after infection.

Whether you treat chronic throat infection with 6 months of penicillin or have a tonsilectomy is a tough decision. I have not found any medical literature comparing the two options.

Any problem with snoring or sleep apnea? (Swollen tonsils can be a contributing factor.)

Basically, discussing the risks and benefits of each option with your physician will help you make the best informed decision.

Keep us posted.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us