Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Urethra opening red

 locosaki - Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:00 pm


I have a problem with the opening to my penis,the Urethra is very red around opening and can be painful at times,I also noticed recently that when I have finished urinating and put penis away I'm almost certainly going to get a little more urine coming out !!!!

I did infact go for a std check a few weeks ago and all my tests came back clear !!

Anyone got any suggestions

Reagrds William
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:37 am

User avatar Hello,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
This is probably due to urethritis. The condition occusr due to many causes that may be or may not be related to your sexual activity. Most of cases however are due to infections with bacteria (Ecoli) that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination).

These symptoms could be also due to a sort of dermatitis in which urethritis caused by trauma or chemical irritants. There is itching in the majority of cases.Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Urine analysis, urine culture and exclsuion of STDs are essential for the diagnosis.
So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor, he will prescribe the appropriate treatment based on clinical examination and investigations results.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 locosaki - Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 am

Hi,Thanks for taking time to reply.

I have been to see my doctor and he told me to try clotrimazole cream and if that did not work we would have to try something else !!

Didn't sound to promising to me but I will follow instructions and give it a try !!

Many thanks William

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us