Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Burns/Rash on legs just below testicles

 hellraiser - Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 pm

from last couple of weeks, i have been feeling itching just between the legs and beneath the testicles. when i get the place rubbed, it turned into a dark red type swollen skin. i does not hurt, but i feel itching most of the time.
earlier, there was only one spot at the right thaai/upper leg...but as the time passed....i have a couple more similar spots. Please suggest a cream or a treatment for this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 am

User avatar Hello,
Friction and fungus are likely to be the causes of these symptoms but direct clinical examination is essential.
Skin rubbing against skin generates heat and sweat; they in turn lead to redness and painful itchy patches. Obese and active people are more susceptible.
In such cases, there are defined patches of scaly skin with ring-like borders hence the medical name Tinea cruris, or ringworm of the groin. Fungus infection predominates in the summer.

Treatment of fungal infection may require about 4 weeks of local antifungal measures to clean these lesions. Keeping the skin dry and clean is very important. If secondary bacterial infection occurs local antibiotic ointment will be needed.

Direct clinical examination is essential to exclude other causes like herpes virus infection, folliculitits, or dermatitis. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor, he will prescribe the appropriate therapy based on the examination results.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us