Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Meningoencephalitis

 klick28 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm

first off i'd like to introduce myself seeing as i am new here
i am 18 years old, and two years ago was diagnosed with Meningoencephalitis

the doctor's told me that it was no longer in my system, however i was wondering if that was possible. During the last 6-10 months or so, i have been extremely tired, and resting does little to help. I find myself waking up from 12 hours of sleep and still feeling exhausted. I experience joint pains and my muscles are constantly "tired", even after resting. Could this be the meningoencephalitis? Or is it something unrelated?

thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

I hate to answer a question with more questions, but sometimes that's part of the deal. It is in this case, because there are so many types and causes of meningoencephalitis, and some are more likely than others to recur. We therefore need to know what sort of infection you had, if it was viral, bacterial or amoebic in origin. The last one, parasitically caused, can sometimes recur because the causative organism is better at "hiding." Viral types usually run their course, although it can be a fairly long one. Bacterial ones are resolved when the bacteria are all killed.

If you can provide this important detail, I'll at least be able to hazard a guess at what's going on. In any case you should check in with your doctor because these symptoms should be addressed even if the original problem has truly gone away.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us