Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Watery diarrhea & leg cramps

 place - Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:29 am

I don't know if this is a virus or if it is food poisoning.I have had watery diarrhea & leg cramps for the past 4 days. I do not have a fever. No one else in my household is ill. The only item I ate that would exclude me from everyone else was mayonnasie. It was refrigerated and had not expired. However, it had a clear layer of gook on top of it (which is what mayo looks like after not being sealed with the lid in the refrigerator). I also had canned albacore tuna.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
Most acute diarrhea (less than 14 days) is self limiting. Replenishing fluids and electrolytes is mainstay of therapy. Traditionally, we also suggest a BRAT diet until stool becomes more formed and regular. BRAT = Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast

As far of cause of acute infectious diarrhea cases, in the developed world, the majority are caused by viruses and sometimes bacteria and least due to protozoa.

It is important to ascertain the quality and quantity (ie the severity) of the diarrhea to determine whether to test and treat the infection. Is there mucus (white stringy material) or blood in the stool. How often is the diarrhea. How many days.

Also: is there any fever, any signs of dehydration. What is the general health status of the sick person. How old are they. Answers to these questions will help our approach to treatment and if the patient needs hospitalization.

If symptoms worsen or do not improve or if any doubt about what to do, then see a physician for history and physical exam.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us