Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Application of Benzyl Benzoate (for Scabies) on genitals?

Falcone - Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi there,

I am in my early 20s and I have been itching around my upper back, waistline, stomach, legs, penis, arms etc, for around 2.5 months, especially and intensely so when in contact with warm water (my face neck and scalp are also itchy - although I have heard these wouldnt be affected my scabies in adults).

Anyway my doctor suggested it would be Scabies (I think largely due to the small sores on my wrists and in between my fingers) and prescribed the topical lotion Benzyl Benzoate.

The lotion suggests applying from the next down, however avoiding mucous menbranes (however amongst the usualy such as..mouth etc, it says genitals)/

However my penis has small sores on it and is perhaps the most uncomfortably itchy part of my body affected - espeically behind the foreskin/head of the penis.

Therefore I was wondering, it seems like I couldnt beat the infection without applying to my genitals, however is it safe to do so?

Thank you in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm

According to this product's directions, you can use on the genitalia but avoid the opening on the penis (where urine comes out) as it may cause irritation. The lotion or cream is applied from head to toe except eyes,nose, and mouth (any mucosal surface) and left on for 24 hours then rinsed off with warm water. A second application is used as needed for severe cases.

Let us know how things turn out.
 Falcone - Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I hadn't logged on sooner.

Alot of the itching occurs behind the foreskin, and some on the head - so this will be okay as long as It doesn't enter the opening?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Yes. If in doubt call your family physician for confirmation.
All the best to you.