Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV in a serious relationship/condoms

JoeJoeJoe - Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 am

I am a 19 yr old male and am currently in a serious relationship and my girlfriend has discovered that she has HPV and thus has given it to me. After a recent PAP that yielded abnormal cells that were deemed harmless she has been told to continue use of condoms. Since she is on birth control we do not always use condoms. What would be the reason for the doctors recommended use of condoms. If we did not use condoms could it make her HPV matters worse, or would it cause neither of us to be cured by our immune systems due to repeated infections from one another? So my basic question is do we really need to use condoms with HPV if we are truly committed to only each other. Thanks for all the help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:43 pm

There are various genotypes of HPV so you can continue to pass these back and forth. The virus can also show up on different body parts as well so the doctor is probably attempting to offer ideas to help reduce risk of additional cross contamination. It seems to me that the two of you can make this decision but if you break up and move on to other partners, condoms would be essential.