Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: oral, genital and ocular herpes

mom2009 - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

I have oral and genital herpes, my boyfriend has ocular herpes. Can we infect each other so we both end up with all of them?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Yes, this is possible. You should use caution, especially when you have outbreaks. If you have cuts or abrasions, avoid contact with herpes lesions. Using condoms in sexual activity will limit risk of those infections. Good handwashing may help reduce the risk of ocular herpes but it is unknown exactly why we get this and there is suspicion it may travel up the nerves from another site where herpes is present. It is possible your boyfriend is infected elsewhere without symptoms.

Since the virus can spread to other parts, you can definitely pass oral to genital and vice versa, though type I tends to prefer oral cavities and type 2 genitals.